New International Student Resources

Dear Students,

Welcome to the University of Southern Indiana and to the city of Evansville! We are delighted to have you as members of our international community, and we hope you will find your stay in Evansville rewarding—both academically and personally. The Center for International Programs (CIP) is here to serve you. Our staff is happy to assist you in any way we can. While the COVID-19 pandemic has changed how you access us, we are still here on campus to support you. We hope you feel free to call the office or schedule a meeting with us any time you have a problem or a question—or even just to chat. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, or need to be referred to another office, contact the CIP office at 812-465-1248,, or schedule a virtual meeting. There is so much we can learn from each other. We are very glad to have this opportunity to work and share with you in the coming year.

With best wishes,

Center for International Programs

Please review the sections below. Click the arrow sign for proper next steps related to each questions.

First Steps
  • Activate your myUSI account at You need your University ID number from your admission letter.
  • Complete required placement tests and participate in orientation program.
  • Meet with an academic advisor in your department and register for classes.
  • Obtain Eagle Access Card (student ID card). You must bring government issued photo identification to receive your student ID. You will receive your student ID at the same location shortly after having your ID photo taken. The Card Office, located in the lower level of UC West. 
  • Purchase books at the USI Campus store
  • Pay tuition and fees through the Bursar
  • Submit copies of your immunization record OR completed Student Immunization Form to the University Health Center
  • Complete the International Student Data Form
  • Print your LewerMark health insurance card (or sponsored program insurance card)
  • Sign up for a meal plan
  • SEVIS transfer students need to complete the transfer procedure by bringing your USI I-20 or DS-2019 to the CIP within the first two weeks of the semester
  • Sign up for RAVE alerts. Log-in to myUSI and click on the RAVEAlert icon to get started.
  • Finalize your housing application if not already completed.
  • Notify the Center for International Programs of any changes in your address or phone number within 10 days of the change. You also need to update those items through your myUSI account.
  • If you obtain an on-campus job, you will need to apply for a Social Security card; if you do not plan to work but you receive a scholarship from a U.S. source, you must apply for an ITIN card. More information is available here.
USI's response to COVID-19
  • Academics in the U.S. may have different expectations than in your home country. Learn more about what to expect at USI.
  • USI Creed
  • Placement tests are required for degree-seeking undergraduates.
    1. Reading Test (administered by Academic Skills)
    2. Math Test (administered by Academic Skills)— Required of all students who have not received a “C” or better in a college-level Algebra course.
    3. English Test (administered by Academic Skills) includes a written essay (45 minutes) required of all students.
    Exchange students must take the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency to determine placement in English courses at USI.
  • Change of major or minor
    If you decide to change your major or minor at USI, you must obtain a Change of Academic Program Form from the Office of the Registrar or the department of the new major/minor and secure the signature of the department chair/director (or dean) of any major/minor to be added. The student then returns the form to the Office of the Registrar. You will then need to visit CIP to obtain a new I-20 to reflect your new major. An online form will be available soon. You must complete the process prior to the beginning of the 12th week of classes if the change is to be made within the current semester. Unless granted a waiver by the chair of the department of the new major, you must meet all current program requirements for graduation.
  • Registration hold for international students
    Each semester the Center for International Programs (CIP) places a “hold” on all international students’ registrations to prevent a student from dropping a course and possibly violating immigration regulations. International students who are on F-1 or J-1 visas must maintain a full-time course load during the fall and spring semesters. Contact the CIP office if you have any questions about the hold, or if you would like to make a change in your schedule. 
  • Blackboard is a course management system used in many USI courses. For tutorials on how to use it, visit our Blackboard online help page
  • Academic Calendar - Plan your semester and year using USI's academic calendar. This is your source for all official university dates such as the last day to drop a class without a financial penalty or when classes will be cancelled for university holidays. Please note that if you are enrolled in the Intensive English Program, your IEP calendar varies based on the 8-week sessions. 
Staying Healthy
  • There are many ways to get around campus and around Evansville. Be sure to check the Student Domestic Travel Policy before traveling.
  • From campus and in the city of Evansville, you have options to travel by campus shuttle, METS city bus, taxi or ride share, personal vehicle or bicycle. When traveling further, the Evansville Regional Airport is an option as well. Check out the details on our transportation page. 


International Programs - Main office

fas fa-map-marker-alt University Center East, Room 1234
fas fa-mobile-alt 812-465-1248
fas fa-envelope Email
fas fa-clock Office Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (central)