You can update the Tableau Preferences file to create more personalized settings in Tableau. The most common way to update the Preferences file is to add a custom color palette. Below are the instructions to update the custom color palette using the USI Color Palette.
- Make sure to close Tableau before beginning work on the Preferences file.
- The Preferences file is located in the Common Tableau Repository and has the extension of tps.
- Open the file using Notepad.
- The file is in xml. Add some space between the opening and closing workbook tags.
- In between the workbook tags, add in an opening and closing preferences tag.
- In between the preferences tags, add in an opening and closing color palette tag
<color-palette name="USI Color Palette" type="regular"> </color-palette>
- In between the color palette tags, add in nine opening and closing color tags.
- In between each opening and closing color tag, add in the hexadecimal codes for the USI color palette. The hexadecimal codes are as follows:
- Your final code should look like this:
<color-palette name="USI Color Palette" type="regular">
- Save the file. When you reopen Tableau, you should see the USI Color Palette in your marks card.
Download Preferences File PDF